Thursday, June 11, 2015

DIY Outdoor Couches

Thanks to the advent of Pinterest, sprucing up your house has become simple, inexpensive and rewarding! The other day I was perusing Pinterest and came across this little beauty!


I loved the idea and thought it would be easy enough to do myself! I decided to make a sudo armrest by stacking the cinderblocks differently than what was shown in the original image above. This minor change also saves money because you need less supplies. 

Supplies: 
8 - cinder blocks 16x8x8 (there are different sizes, I learned the hard way) 
3 - 4x4's 
Wood Stain 

The natural look of the wood is nice, but I wanted a darker stain and I happened to have a walnut wood stain on hand! I stained only one side of each of the 4x4's for a couple reasons. One, so to not use up so much of the stain, and two because I didn't want to need to use a sealer to protect the cushions that I would be placing on top. 


To make sure it looked cohesive, I stained the ends of each of the 4x4's. It looks sloppy now, but I promise, it will be feel complete once it is all put together!

Because I did not want to purchase paint, I used the wood stain to stain the cinder block as well. Wood stain is much cheaper than cement stain and works just as well for our purposes!

I gave the stain a couple days to completely dry before adding the cushions and pillows. 


The cushions I found on sale at Target for $20 ea. 
To save money, I ordered these $5 pillow inserts (free shipping) and found inexpensive pillow-covers (also on Amazon). Or if you are crafty, you can sew them yourself. Most of the pillow-covers shown here were $2-5 ea. 






For a little of $100 you can build yourself a large outdoor couch, with very little effort!




1 comment:

  1. This is SO cute! I'm in love with this, and it looks really fun to do. If I get my act together someday I'm totally making this for my backyard. I like the way that you stacked the cinder blocks, so that you have an arm rest AND a little place for a beverage (or lantern!). It looked like you used less wood as well, is the seat wide enough or just as comfortable with only 3 beams instead of 4? I'm definitely visiting your house next month. :)

    ReplyDelete