Friday, July 17, 2015

$20 DIY Outdoor Rug

After much searching, online and in-stores, for an affordable outdoor rug, I decided to attempt to make my own. I did a little research and found it is fairly simple to paint a rug! I discovered a reasonably priced 6x8 ft indoor/outdoor rug at Home Depot online and picked it up in-store for free. The rug is thin and lightweight but works well for an outdoor space. There are many beautiful DIY painted rugs online, but I was going for something I could complete in an hour or two, not two to three days. So I decided on a simple stripe pattern. 

I used painters tape to mark out my lines. 


After one coat of paint. 
I used Annie Sloan chalk paint (a mix of Old White and Graphite) 
but I am sure any paint would work well! 


After two coats of paint. 


And here is the finished product! 


Cost Breakdown: 
$17.87 + tax for the rug
I used paint that we had on hand

For less than $20 and about 1.5 hrs of time I have a new outdoor rug!! 
Pair it with my DIY couches and you can build yourself a comfortable outdoor living space on a budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment