Monday, July 27, 2015

Homestudy Part II

Last week we wrapped up the last part of the home study with my one-on-one interview with our adoption worker. Another huge stepping stone in the process! Our adoption worker is very kind, and seems to understand my personality well, she is happy to answer any questions or concerns we may have, and I have never felt rushed or brushed aside.

Questions she asked consisted of a variety of things, ranging from childhood experiences and relationship to our fertility. Below is a more extensive list of questions asked:

Childhood
She asked me a series of questions concerning my childhood, including but not limited to; relationship with my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins. And yes, I did have to provide names of each of my cousins, a fairly extensive list ;-) Methods of discipline used by my parents, any instances of abuse, schooling, extra curricular activities, and the level of support I received.

Adult
She asked about my relationship with my husband, my siblings, my parents, friends, neighbors, about our church, religion, our involvement in community, the medications I am currently taking, and any past surgeries.

Fertility
Of course, she asked about our fertility journey, how I felt when I was given the diagnosis of secondary infertility, if we had support from family and friends, what my emotions were when we were diagnosed vs. today, and lastly, if I am still pursuing fertility treatment (just a note, Riverside County asks that you are not seeking fertility treatment if you are in the process to adopt).

Fears
She asked me what my biggest fears were regarding adopting, and how I dealt with those fears. (Ummm... God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and encouragement from my husband to turn towards God!)

Family Support 
Lastly she asked me about what my family thinks about our decision to adopt, if they were supportive, and what their concerns may be.

The interview lasted about 2 hours, after which she informed me she should have the final home study written and on her supervisors desk by mid August. At which point her supervisor will review and approved (about a 2 week process) and then submit to matching. Matching is who will, true to the name, match us with our baby!

Matching
This is a brief summary of how matching works (to my knowledge). Matching will get to know our family based on the home study our adoption worker submits. Once a child comes into the system on the adoption track, matching will then filter through the adoptive families looking for a "match" (based on the things the family is or is not willing to accept), matching will then compile a list of usually five families that are a best "match" for the child. Usually those that are on the top of the list are those families that have been waiting the longest. Our adoption worker believes we will be waiting for a match for between 2-8 months, this is her best guess based on her experience. However, there is still a possibility we could get a call the day after our home study has been approved. We just have no idea! Ahhhhhh!




Prayer Requests
Please join us as we pray for the baby that God has for our family, the bio-mommy/family of that baby, and the social worker our baby will be assigned to.

The county social workers are assigned both kids tracked for temporary foster care and kids tracked for adoption, they often will only have 1-2 adoption cases a year, therefore, they are sometimes unfamiliar with the adoption process. I have also been told some of the social workers can be difficult to work with, they often have large case loads and do not take time to be kind. Kindness often comforts my heart, please join us as we pray for a social worker that is kind, patient, and ultimately, is going to do what it takes to keep our baby in our home (however, I will excuse the lack of kindness and patience for the latter ;-)


Adoption Timeline
Orientation Class - September 26, 2014
Submitted Application to County & CCL - November 1, 2014
County Preliminary Interview - January 21, 2015
Parenting/Training Classes - March 12th, 2015
CCL Pre-Licensing Inspection - March 18, 2015
Exit Interview - June 3, 2015 
Home Study Interview Part I - July 7, 2015 
Home Study Interview Part II - July 23, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment